A perspective on the world of disability from a mother and an educator. Follow my blog!

Saturday, 21 March 2015

An open thank you

Dear other parents,

Thank you to the deputy manager at our local Aldi. You saw me while I was shopping late the other night. You know I usually do my shopping during the day. You know I'm NEVER out without my girls. All you said was 'Wow, you managed to get some alone time tonight'. Thank you for seeing me. Thank you for your recognition.

Thank you to the leader in my school's parent group. You knew there was a talk on puberty coming up. I approached you to let you know that our path through puberty was going to be a bit different to other parents. You told me that you'd already let the guest speaker know that they needed to cover puberty and disability. Thank you for not only making me feel included, but for making sure I got the best information to help Imogen.

Thank you to the mum of one of Imogen's friends. Your offer to look after Adele while I go to swimming lessons with Imogen has made it so much easier to observe her interactions and learning, without being a distraction to her. You saw that I was having a rotten day this week and you made dinner for my family. Thank you for reminding me that I have the most amazing friends.

Thank you to the admin lady at the local community kindergarten. I came in to put Adele on the wait list for next year and you remembered that Imogen had been there back in 2010. Thank you for letting me know that she has had an impact in making our small part of the world a better place.

Thank you to the mum who stopped me as I walked home to tell me that every time she sees me, she is glad that she doesn't have to walk in my shoes; that she feels grateful that her children are well and healthy. Thank you for acknowledging that some days are quite tough for us. Thank you for acknowledging that we put a lot of effort into giving Imogen the best opportunities possible.

Thank you to my neighbour, who comes over like a grandmother and gives all our girls little gifts. You fill their lives with extra love. You treat them all the same and remind them about being good sisters. Thank you for making our adding some normality to our life.

Thank you to the lovely friend I've made through our Facebook page and blog. When you ask me questions that I'm able to answer I am so happy that I can help. I'm reminded of the steep learning curve we have had and how alone we felt at times. I'm glad that I'm able to make it a little easier for someone else. Thank you for making me feel useful and reassuring me that I've learnt so much already.

Happy World Down Syndrome Day.

Today is going to be a good day.


1 comment:

  1. Goosebumps Rachel. You will have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete