A perspective on the world of disability from a mother and an educator. Follow my blog!

Tuesday, 13 January 2015

My future self.

The holidays are a wonderful time, especially in a small town. It's great to catch up with people you haven't seen in a while and it's often when you are out and about that you run into these people.

It is also while you are out and about, as everyone is during the New Year period, that you see people that you normally wouldn't. Whether it's doing sales shopping, enjoying the local parks or dining out, it is interesting to see the people who make up our community.

I think that it is at this time of year, more than any other time, that I notice all the elderly people, who are out and about with an adult child. An adult child who, for better or worse, has an obvious impairment, mental health concern or disability.

I always make sure I smile at these families. Not a pitying smile, but a smile of reassurance, of understanding, of friendship.

Because I know one day that will be me. One day it will be me, the elderly woman walking with my adult Imogen. I know it, I fear it, I accept it.

I pray that when that day comes, people will smile at me with a smile of reassurance, understanding and friendship.  Gavin and I can make as many plans as we want for our future, but they need to be for 3 people, not 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment