A perspective on the world of disability from a mother and an educator. Follow my blog!

Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Mother's Day 2014

You know those days that are so good you declare that it will be a hard task to ever better them? Well, that was my Mothers' Day last Sunday. It was a most brilliant end to a rather busy and stressful week.

In the lead up to Mothers' Day I was thinking about what I would blog. Initially the phrase 'bitter sweet' came to mind. This certainly isn't the motherhood I thought it would be. My life is nothing at all like I thought it would be 10 years ago when I was a newly-wed, and it's not like I thought it would be 2 years later as I prepared to bring my big girl into the world. Even though I was a month and a half off my due date my darling Bear still bought me a Mothers' Day gift that year!  16 hours after giving birth to Imogen everything I thought about becoming a mother was tossed out the window. My expectations, my hopes and aspirations for my first born were obliterated with 9 little words ' I think we need to consider Down syndrome'.

That could be perceived as the bitter element of my journey through motherhood. I try my best to not think through that lens. I believe that my big girl was brought into my life to make me a better person, to introduce me to a world that I never knew existed and to teach me about what really makes life sweet.

On Friday, at the height of my awful crazy week, my Bear sent me a text.


There was no way I could say no! Tony Robinson has been in my lounge room since I was a small child! Fat Tulip's Garden, Maid Marian and her Merry Men, Black Adder, Time Team and countless documentaries!  Despite now adding a day long trip to the neighbouring town to the end of our rather hectic week we decided there was no way we could not go. We figured we would need a telescopic lens to even catch a glimpse but you've got to be in it to win it.

Not only did we get to see Sir Tony up close and be in the front row for the filming of his latest tv series, we saw some magical moments between him and out big girl. The first moment was in between filming when my big girl called out
'Hi Fat Tulip!'

Tony Robinson turned to her to say, 'How do you know about that? You must be a very young looking 40 year old!'

To which my girl proudly responds 'No, I'm 7!'.


After the filming we went back in the afternoon to have a book and audiobook autographed. We duly waited in line and when it was our turn, I swear Tony recognised Imogen. We had our photo taken with him and as I was checking the photos and squealing with school girl delight, I turned around, looking for my big girl only to find her having her arm signed! Now that's one incredible Show & Share!



Monday at work I was totally having Tony withdrawls!

Now while this chance meeting of a childhood hero will make it really hard for my Bear to top next year, meeting Sir Tony wasn't the best part of the day.

Laying in bed first thing in the morning being showered in gifts, my middle girl gives me a card she has made at school. It contains cut outs of the 5 people in her family, plus her imaginary brother (maybe we need to have baby number 4 after all!). The message is written by her teacher but no less touching for it.  I move on to open the next present and stop half way. I turn to my big girl who is now reading the card her sister has made. A completely unfamiliar text, with phonologically irregular words. She reads it perfectly. Defying and surpassing all expectations, hopes and aspirations others may place on her.

Now that is what makes 2014 a Mothers' Day to remember!

1 comment:

  1. They do surprise us, don't they? I have a 27-year-old son with Down syndrome. I'm amazed by all that he has accomplished. I also wrote about it in my Mother's Day post at passthehoney.blogspot.com. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete